What is Veterans Day and Why it is celebrated– Well, Many People are here who don’t know the exact meaning of this day and why it is celebrated. Thousands of people have searched the same questions on Google, Bing, Yahoo and other search engines. So in this article, I am going to explain you the answers of the above questions.
What is Veterans Day
Veterans Day is basically an official United States Public Holiday. Every 11th November United States celebrates Veterans day to honor the million of men and women who have served or serving in the Nations Armed forces. Veterans Day was originally called as Armistice Day
Veterans Day is a time for the remembrance and celebration of all who have served in the U.S. Armed Forces. Veterans Day was first known as Armistice Day and commemorated the ending of World War I. Although World War I ended November 11, 1919, Armistice Day was not officially observed until 1926. In 1938, it became a national holiday. For nearly 40 years, November 11 held the name of Armistice Day until it was changed in 1954 to Veterans Day by order of President Eisenhower.
For seven years between 1968 and 1975, Veterans Day was briefly moved to October, but it was eventually moved back to November 11 by President Ford because the holiday celebrates more than just veterans; it celebrates the end of World War I. Australia, Canada, Great Britain and France all have holidays that celebrate veterans on November 11.
There are over 23 million veterans in the United States, nine million of whom are over 65 years old. Nearly two million of those veterans are women, and over two million are veterans from World War I
Veterans Day Facts
- The name of the holiday was officially changed from Armistice Day to Veterans Day, In 1954 by President Eisenhower.
- In 1968, the Uniform Holidays Bill was passed by Congress, which moved the celebration of Veterans Day to the fourth Monday in October.
- In 1968, Veterans Day was moved to the fourth Monday in October, when the Uniform Holidays Bill was passed by congress.
- The law went into effect in 1971, but in 1975 President Ford returned Veterans Day to November 11, due to the important historical significance of the date.
Veterans Day VS Memorial Day
I saw many people asking difference between Veterans Day and Memorial Day and some people are confused in both meanings, so in this article let me clear your doubts about Veterans Day and Memorial Day.
Difference between Veterans Day and Memorial Day
There is a very little difference between Veterans Day and Memorial Day. Actually Memorial Day is celebrated for those soldiers who fought, injured and died during the world war I whereas Veterans Day is celebrated to thank and honor all those who served in the military – in wartime and peace.
This is an infographic about Memorial Day that the Census Bureau issued in 2013:
According to the Stats by History.com
- 9.2 million veterans are over the age of 65.
- 1.9 million veterans are under the age of 35.
- 1.8 million veterans are women.
- 7.8 million veterans served during the Vietnam War era (1964-1975), which represents 33% of all living veterans.
- 5.2 million veterans served during the Gulf War (representing service from Aug. 2, 1990, to present).
- 2.6 million veterans served during World War II (1941-1945).
- 2.8 million veterans served during the Korean War (1950-1953).
- 6 million veterans served in peacetime.
- As of 2008, 2.9 million veterans received compensation for service-connected disabilities.
- 5 states have more than 1 million veterans in among their population: California (2.1 million), Florida (1.7 million), Texas (1.7 million), New York (1 million) and Pennsylvania (1 million).
- The VA health care system had 54 hospitals in 1930, since then it has expanded to include 171 medical centers; more than 350 outpatient, community, and outreach clinics; 126 nursing home care units; and 35 live-in care facilities for injured or disabled vets.
- Veterans Say Thank you Quotes
- Famous Quotes About Veterans
- Veterans Day Quotes and Sayings by Presidents
- Veterans Day Message to Employees
- Veterans Day Message to Husbands
- Veterans Day Message to Brothers
- Happy Veterans Day Quotes and Sayings
- Veterans Day Military discounts 2016
- Veterans Day Status for Facebook 2016
- Veterans Day Free Meals 2016 List
- Prayers for Veterans Day
- Happy Veterans Day Gift Ideas
- What is Veterans Day and Why it is Celebrated